Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Regency Fashion September 1815

As we move into Fall, this September dress makes a bit impression for sheer femininity. 

A Carriage Dress from Ackermans for September 1815. I love that she has a lorgnette in one hand and a lacy handkerchief in the other.  I can remember carrying real handkerchiefs about my person as a child.  I still have a gift box of embroidered ones given to me by my grandmother somewhere. Paper tissues just don't quite feel the same do they?  Although I do like the little packets with pretty designs on the wrapping that you keep in your purse.  I digress.

Ackermann's describes this dress as follows.

Carriage Dress September 1815

Cambric muslin, jaconet, or French cambric dress, of short walking length, ornamented round the skirt with four borders of embroidery laid on; long sleeve, the fullness at the wrist confined in a bracelet of corresponding embroidery let in. 

Plain handkerchief, front trimmed en suite. The back of the dress broad and plain, sloped low between the shoulders; the fullness of the petticoat extended round the waist; the sleeve worn considerably off the shoulder, and the waist very short. 

The Anglesea chip hat, decorated with a full cluster of ostrich feathers, drooping forward. Sandals, kid, of the Pomona green colour. Gloves, Limerick or York tan.

I think this is a very flattering style of hat and one can imagine a lady able to stride out in a dress of this shape. I think this is an outfit I would use in a story.

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment